In today’s episode I am joined all the way from Scotland by Frazer Shaw, the Assistant Manager of Curl Edinburgh. He shares with us his learnings about making ice and managing a curling club environment
We touch on what rocks are made of, how ice is made and what variables are important in making great ice. Fraser reminds us that there are tonnes of variables to consider when it comes to making great ice, and hopes that this episode deepens your appreciation for what your ice tech is doing from fall until spring!
We promise a future part 2 episode to discuss some typical conditions, and things you can consider when playing at a new curling club.
- 3 types of granite used for curling rocks
- 3 layers to your curling floor
- 3+ types of brine (coolant)
- 1.5+ inches of ice depending on various factors
- Ice is a living thing
Key links mentioned:
Listen/watch below or on Curling News/SI
Some other great episodes to check out:
- Episode 24: Dr. Stephanie Juffs on PEACE and LOVE not RICE
- Episode 45: 5 tips for an efficient in-season recovery plan
- Episode 46: Laura Walker on pregnancy, return to curling and mom life on the road